Re: clutch hydraulic line

To: "Bill and Sal Birney" <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Subject: Re: clutch hydraulic line
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph R Schneider)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 23:50:42 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
(snip)
>Not sure about late model spitfire, however it sounds like this should have
>a 'double flare', ie come out then back in to the original diameter. This
>depends on the shape of the recess in the slave, if the recess is concave
>(ie centre deaper than edge) then double flare, if convex (ie centre
>shallower than edge) then a single flare would be required.

I agree, when I said conical, I should have added something like concave,
i.e., it's as if you're looking into a funnel when you look into the
threaded hole in the slave, I believe the double flare and the brass
compression nut I've seen in other applications accomplish a similar
purpose, i.e., to mate the tubing with a converging conical recess

current situation something like this
___________
 slave     |              ____
        ^^^^         ^^^^^|  | <-nut
_______/        \___|________|_____
              flare             hydraulic line
 conical recess  __________________
_______         /   |        |
       \             ^^^^^|__|
        ^^^^

I wonder if it shouldn't be something like:

___________
 slave     |              ____
        ^^^^         ^^^^^|  | <-nut
_______/       /\___|________|_____
       double flare             hydraulic line
                 __________________
_______        \/   |        |
       \             ^^^^^|__|
        ^^^^

>Either way, these only require the pressure of tightening to seal, however
>they have to be made properly. This requires a special tool. Try your local
>brake bloke they may be able to help (a new line is probably better than
>trying to fix the old, and not much different in price).

my original thought was to try a brake bloke, but I don't know that I'll
find one that knows how to do this (having grown up speaking the English of
the USA, I've always had the sense that "bloke" implied some contempt,
certainly appropriate here, these blokes are likely younger than my car)-
TRF is out of stock on this part, so they can't tell me how it looks, I
guess I can try Moss or Vitoria British, the former seems to have peole
willing to at least have a look at the part

thanks for your interest

Joe

Joseph R Schneider    Web Page http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~jschneid/JRS.HTML
76 Spitfire 1500  FM45587UC