clutch hydraulic line

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: clutch hydraulic line
From: joe-schneider@nwu.edu (Joseph Schneider)
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 16:47:43 -0600
fellow triumph enthusiasts:
Andy Mace has heard the specifics (in excruciating detail) of my forays
into my recently acquired Spitfire 1500, I thought I'd give him a break and
ask the rest of the list a question (but don't be afraid to answer, Andy)

I'm replacing my clutch slave cylinder and I'm unhappy with the appearance
of the threads on the hydraulic line nut, so I decided I would replace
something (first case of Shipwright's disease?)- however, the slave appears
to have identical upper and lower holes with conical places for the
hydraulic line and bleed screw (the DPO had them reversed, bleed screw
below and hydraulic line in above)- the hydraulic line has a simple flared
end, i.e., no brass compression nut or other device to mate with the
conical recess, is this correct or is this another gift from the DPO? if a
simple flared end is normal, I suppose there's enough play in the hydraulic
line that I could simlpy cut the flare off (so I could remove the old nut),
replace the nut and flare the end again, any thoughts?
thanks
Joe

Joseph R Schneider, MD, PhD
Associate Professor of Surgery, Northwestern University Medical School
100 Burch, Evanston Hospital, 2650 Ridge Ave, Evanston, IL 60201
voice: (847) 570-2565  fax: (847) 570-2899  e-mail: joe-schneider@nwu.edu
world wide web page:  http://pubweb.acns.nwu.edu/~jschneid/JRS.HTML
"He has no sense of comedy, he's German through and through." Sam Shepard
describing Guenther in "Spencer Tracy is not dead"
or alternatively, my wife describing me