Re: cubic dollars vs pounds of sweat

To: DANMAS@aol.com
Subject: Re: cubic dollars vs pounds of sweat
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 15:28:22 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Mon, 24 Mar 1997 DANMAS@aol.com wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 17, Gregory Petrolati wrote:
>
> >>"Nothing succeeds like cubic dollars..."
>
>      I can't argue with that!  However, since I don't have cubic dollars,
> I've learned to substitute sweat for money. With the exception of paint and
> the critical welding, I'm doing all the work on my TR6/Ford 302 conversion
> myself. It takes a lot longer that way, but it also provides an extensive
> amount of pleasure and personal satisfaction.

        I can't argue with THAT point... If only wih the DIY gave one
        instant wisdom to recogize lost causes, e.g. my TR4 f'rinstance...
        It was a parts car I didn't know it until i was too far into the
        project to back out...

> I've come to the conclusion that there are three reasons why we
> "do-it-yourselfers' choose to do it ourself:
>
> a) we are too cheap to pay some one else to do it. Mowing the lawn and
> replacing the drain pipe under the sink fall into this category.

        OOOHHH! Poor choice of examples... MOWING THE LAWN!!! ACK!!!
        I'll pay the little bleeter down the block or hire, a lawn service
        first... My little patch of heaven is what is commonly known as a
        "California lot (only slightly larger than the floor plan)..."

> c) we enjoy the actual effort of doing it. Working on my TR6 project falls
> into this category. I'm in no real hurry to finish, because I am having so
> much fun doing it. When this is finished, I will have to find another
> project, or suffer withdrawal pains!

        Are you NUTS???

        Dan get it done... and soon... Having it is much more fun than
        getting to that point (BTW, it gives SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED less
        to complain about...) Trust me, you will NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER,
        NEVER (and a whole lot more "nevers" on top of that) run out of "stuff"
        to do on your TR6... Besides, once it's back on the road, it will
        begin the slide towards entropy that was begun when first it rolled
        off the assembly line... Eventually you will have to rebuild it all
        over again... All normal maintenance does prolong the entropic
        process...

        Get the beast on the road, you won't  regret it!

        Greg

> PS: I took no offense at your comment, and meant none with mine.

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois