Re: "Clicking" Starter-76 TR6

To: "A. Neil Beasley" <74741.2020@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: "Clicking" Starter-76 TR6
From: "Ernest G. Janzen" <egj@alumni.caltech.edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 17:25:26 -0800 (PST)
Cc: Unknown <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>

On 22 Mar 1997, A. Neil Beasley wrote:

> The TR 6 has been sitting out the winter in the shop and when I tried to start
> it, it slowly turned over as if the battery had run down. Then,  the turning
> stopped and the clicking noise came from the solenoid area. I tried to jump it
> off from another car and the starter turned over for several turns and then
> stopped, being replaced by the clicking sound. Another battery did the same
> thing.  We pulled the TR 6 and got it started and ran it for awhile. When we
> stopped and tried to restart, we got only the clicking sound.
>
> Does this sound like a bad solenoid or what? Would you pull the starter and
>take
> it to a repair shop?

No, this sounds like a problem that has lead me down the wrong path all
too often. It sounds like the solenoid and starter are probably OK. I
would check to see that I have a good battery and clean terminals
first, especially clean terminals. Even a very light oxide
coating is sufficient to increase the resistance causing insufficient
current to the starter.

Use a ream type cleaner for the cable links and battery terminals, not
just the light wire brush type of post and terminal cleaner tool. This
job is a lot easier than pulling the starter so try it first.

Good luck.

Ernest Janzen
'74 TR6