Re: "Clicking" Starter-76 TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: "Clicking" Starter-76 TR6
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 20:24:18 -0500
Hello Neil, saw your post :

 >Hello all,
 >
>The TR 6 has been sitting out the winter in the shop and when I tried to
start
 >it, it slowly turned over as if the battery had run down. Then,  the turning
>stopped and the clicking noise came from the solenoid area. I tried to jump
it
 >off from another car and the starter turned over for several turns and then
 >stopped, being replaced by the clicking sound. Another battery did the same
 >thing.  We pulled the TR 6 and got it started and ran it for awhile. When we
 >stopped and tried to restart, we got only the clicking sound.
 >
>Does this sound like a bad solenoid or what? Would you pull the starter and
ta
 >ke
 >it to a repair shop?
 >
 >Thanks for the help in advance.
 >
 >Neil
 >76 TR 6

Before you get too serious with the starter, keep in mind that build-
up of corrosion on the clamps, posts, and any other connections can
make the car act like that. Someone else already recommended cleaning
these connections, which will probably cure the trouble.

A few years ago, I looked at a cheap old car for sale, and the owner
shook his head and said, `The starter don't work'.  This was a '76
Ford Pinto, with the 2300 engine, and removing the starter involved
unbolting a motor mount, jacking up the engine, etc, in other words
a pain in the butt...BUTT that was not necessary !  After I towed
the car home (bought for $50. i.e. scrap) I peeled back the plastic
on the Positive battery cable, and found nothing but green/blue dust.
The copper had completely oxidized.  Bolted on a new Pos battery
cable, added new coil wire (same problem), cleaned and re-tightened
all battery and cable connections, and Vrooom ! car ran just fine,
drove it for 70,000 more miles I think, very cost-effective, eh ?

The moral: Keep it Simple & Smile at the money you might save.

Good luck
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio