Re: Lucas Fuel Injection?!?

To: "Dave Terrick" <dterrick@pangea.ca>, <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Lucas Fuel Injection?!?
From: "Bill and Sal Birney" <birneybs@onaustralia.com.au>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:04:58 +1000
Dave

I also have a GT6+ that I intend to add PI to. Some of your questions have
been answered for me:

> -  the front pair won't clear the bonnet unless I drop the motor,  raise
> the bonnet,  or mod the housing.

Common consensus over here is to mod the housing, including the injector
pipes. Thhey need to do a 90 degree bend right against the manifold
(requires drilling and brasing of the injector). Also file off all the
excess metal, and move the vacumm intake (or metering pipe, which ever
sticks up from the front manifold) to the back.

Also can chage bonnet fit to lift higher (this will help not cure as I
understand it)

> -  the fuel distributor unit does not clear the bulkhead and the
bellcrank
> for the throttle.

I've never heard of the metering unit not clearing the bulkhead?, However
you may need to go to a cable accelerator (not a problem over here with the
controls on the other side!!!)

> PS:  any comments on tranny and diff swaps?  150 bhp through a GT box is
> unlikely to outlive the Visa patments for the parts.  My thoughts include
> cpte 280Z diff/shaft/tranny.

Diffs, go for the Datsun (Nissan) 1600, 180B type, just make up a cage and
bolt in (these diffs are also used in the back of 4WD subarus-often in LSD
form) all you need is adapters to fit the half shafts.

Gearbox, well Chris K has been looking at a Nissan box (5 Speed) and there
is a TR6 in OZ with this setup (from what we call a 240K, which I think is
the sedan version of the 240 Z), or the 4 speed TR box (that's what I use,
some chassis mods required if you want to use the OD box, I don't however
another guy here does).

Best of luck

Bill and Sal Birney
'70 GT6+ (RHD)