Another 1147 Lives!!!

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Another 1147 Lives!!!
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 15:43:31 -0800
Oh Great Scions...
  I humbly come before you this day to report on the status of yet
another 1147 cc '64 Spit4 motor  -  IT LIVES!!  (and it breathes FIRE!!)

  Yeah, I know, it's about time...  I got my s**t together, and finally
got it fired up.  Lots of smoke off the wrapped header (boy, did that
ever stink), oil pressure about 70 to 75 psi, until it warmed up a bit
and dropped to 60 to 65, and lots of noise since there's no exhaust
system, just an open header (MK II model).  Ran like a charm, real
sweet.  I didn't fine tune it much, but ran it for about 15 minutes at
about 1800 RPM to set the cam and the rings.  BTW, the LBC guru I worked
with had a little tool, so you take the distributor off, remove the
distributor/oil pump drive gear, and drop this little shaft in, hook it
up to your electric drill, and just like that, oil pressure without ever
cranking the engine over.  What'll they think of next???

  Next step, get the exhaust system built (probably a local shop  -
I'll use a high quality glass-pack), then I'll start all the body work
stuff.  Oh, and in the meantime, I guess I should re-torque all the
engine nuts & studs, etc. and re-check the valves.  Plenty to do....  No
time to type now!

  To all of you on the list, I thank you.  I'm a digest kinda guy, so I
don't respond as quickly as the list people, but I read as much as I
can.  I've picked up countless tidbits of information, asked numerous
questions, and viewed many varying opinions regarding oil types,
suspension theory and cooling system dynamics.  They all add to the
overall level of my knowledge.  Now (open beverage of choice), here's to
all of you (raise glass in toast), I appreciate your help, interest and
efforts (drink heartily from glass)!!

Thanks,
Peter Ficklin
'64 SpitFIRE!!