TR-6 rear suspension

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR-6 rear suspension
From: Gary Nafziger <naffy@netins.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 21:46:49 -0600 (CST)
I noticed that I have 3 shims on the inside and 4 shims on the outside;
behind the brackets that hold the swing arms on.  This makes a differance of
only 1 shim between the two.  Why could I not just remove all shims except
one on the outside?  That would leave the same relative setup as I had
before.  (Then the replacement bolts might fit that I bought that are a tad
too short!!)

The only complication I can think of is that the whole swing arm would be
moved maybe 1/4 inch toward the front of the car.  This would pull the shock
link as well as the stub axle 1/4 inch forward also.

I have decided to buy longer bolts and keep it the same, but I was wondering
why so many shims are used.  It seems the main purpose should be to set the
angle of the wheel rather than the positioning forward or backward.

Just a thought for you late night thinkers to toy with :)
                Gary, Frances Nafziger
                Wellman, Iowa