Re: Dash Lights and Lug Nuts

To: bkgallry@crl.com
Subject: Re: Dash Lights and Lug Nuts
From: Spitfire 1500 <spitfire1500@named.dalton.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 02:06:38 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
bkgallry@crl.com wrote:

> I hope the group will be patient with a new member who has the mechanical
> know-how of a gnat. A 1977  Spitfire 1500 has just fallen into my life and
> I'm determined to learn as many maint. and repair skills as I can. I'm
> hoping some of the experienced members of this group will take pity on me
> and help me along.

We ALL started from the same place.......

> 1. While driving tonight, my insturment lights went out. All of them
> including Hazzard and map lights. All of the dash went dark. There was a
> powerful smell of burning plastic . I reached behind the dash light
> adjustment knob, and burned my fingers on a very hot something or other. I
> noticed later that this "thing" cooled off as I rotated the knob
> counter-clockwise...and hotter (V ERY) as I rotated in the opposite
> direction. After awhile,  rotating in either direction produced no effect.
>
> What the heck happened and how do I get my lighting back?

D*MN!  That sounds VERY familiar!  Same thing happend to my '77, but the
wire for the ballast resistor also burned.  Upon inspection and trying
to repair the wiring, I noticed alot of damaged wires, and alot of wires
that were not on my wiring diagram.  Out comes the harness!  I don't
think Triumph used THIS many red and blue wires....  Why are there SO
many BARE wires....

Try replacing the rheostat for the dash lights, and repairing or finding
a new harness.

> 2. While having new tires installed, the tire shop managed to snap off two
> lug nuts from the American mag wheels that are on the car.  They claimed
> they were so thin and old they could barely handle even 50 lbs. torque.
> Anyway...I can't find replacements at any supply store...not even Moss
> Bros. Anyone have any ideas on where I might find a good supply of 3/8"
> fine thread lug nuts with a 14mm reach . I don't want to have to get new
> wheels simply for lack of lugs !

Try Auto Zone, Pep Boys, Advance Auto, Western Auto, or another local
parts store, especially one that deals in racing equipment.  They should
carry all sorts of wheel studs.

--
Ron N.
Dalton, Ga