Dash Lights and Lug Nuts

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Dash Lights and Lug Nuts
From: bkgallry@crl.com
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 20:06:29 -0800
I hope the group will be patient with a new member who has the mechanical
know-how of a gnat. A 1977  Spitfire 1500 has just fallen into my life and
I'm determined to learn as many maint. and repair skills as I can. I'm
hoping some of the experienced members of this group will take pity on me
and help me along.

I currently  have 2 problems :

1. While driving tonight, my insturment lights went out. All of them
including Hazzard and map lights. All of the dash went dark. There was a
powerful smell of burning plastic . I reached behind the dash light
adjustment knob, and burned my fingers on a very hot something or other. I
noticed later that this "thing" cooled off as I rotated the knob
counter-clockwise...and hotter (V ERY) as I rotated in the opposite
direction. After awhile,  rotating in either direction produced no effect.

What the heck happened and how do I get my lighting back?

2. While having new tires installed, the tire shop managed to snap off two
lug nuts from the American mag wheels that are on the car.  They claimed
they were so thin and old they could barely handle even 50 lbs. torque.
Anyway...I can't find replacements at any supply store...not even Moss
Bros. Anyone have any ideas on where I might find a good supply of 3/8"
fine thread lug nuts with a 14mm reach . I don't want to have to get new
wheels simply for lack of lugs !

Thank you all for your patience. I hope someone can help.

Erik

The Heldfond Book Gallery, Ltd.
310 San Anselmo Avenue
San Anselmo, California  94960