'76 Spit

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: '76 Spit
From: Terry Thompson <tlt@digex.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 13:00:17 -0800
I've become the recent owner of a '76 spit, and among several
other problems, I have a quirky little problem with my right
turn-signal. Unlike the left signal (which flashes a little
faster than once per second), the right turn signal flashes at
about once every 3 seconds.  Any ideas as to what might be
the cause and cure (aside from the explanation that it's "Lucas
component, learn to live with it.") would be greatly appreciated.

Since I'm asking stupid questions; my speedometer "illumination"
has gone out (but the gauge still works).  Any hints as to what
I should look for?  (maybe an electical guide to my car should
be the object of my search).

Also, I was told by the PO that I should use high octane
(92/93) fuel to keep the engine running clean.  But whenever
I drive in my spit, I get out smelling like gas (er..petrol).
Could the gas be too rich?  Am I just wasting money and octane
by using 93? Or is it just a characteristic of the car that
causes the driver to smell like gas?

Finally any idea what I should be getting in average mpg?

-Terry
'76 Spit 48k original miles (aptly named "THESPIT")