Re: '76 Spit

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: '76 Spit
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 21:23:45 -0500
Hello Terry, you asked, in part :

 >Also, I was told by the PO that I should use high octane
 >(92/93) fuel to keep the engine running clean.  But whenever
 >I drive in my spit, I get out smelling like gas (er..petrol).
 >Could the gas be too rich?  Am I just wasting money and octane
 >by using 93? Or is it just a characteristic of the car that
 >causes the driver to smell like gas?
 >
 >-Terry
 >'76 Spit 48k original miles (aptly named "THESPIT")

As far as octane number, the general rule is, Use the lowest number you
can while still avoiding `ping' under load (such as going up a hill in
top gear).  You might get by with 89, might have to go back up.

Regarding the gas fumes, often the short, large dia. hose connecting
the filler cap with the neck of the tank gets old and cracks, and the
fumes escape from there.  Is the smell even worse when you open your
trunk and lean down into it ?  If yes, could be that filler hose, or
perhaps some other point where a fuel line or gauge sender attaches.

Good luck,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio