Re: 72 Spitfire Brake Problem

To: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>
Subject: Re: 72 Spitfire Brake Problem
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 08:57:46 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Barry H. Adams wrote:

> A friend recently purchased a 72 Spitfire with less than 3k total miles!!
> Everything worked ok until about 2 weeks ago when the brake warning light
> came on.  He checked for leaks and the functioning of the pwd valve and
> bled the system.  No leaks were found and the pwd and the brakes seemed to
> function properly, but the light was still on.  He then took the car to a
> K-Mart repair shop (big mistake) they said he needed a new master cylinder
> and returned the car to him with the brakes barely working at all (pedal
> would hold only momentarily and then slowly go to the floor).

Well, most Kmarts now have Penske Auto Centers. How bad could they be? ;-)

> ...Is this a MC problem?  If not,  any ideas on what he should do next?

Actually, it seems likely that the master cylinder would benefit from a
rebuild. I've seen any number of occasions where they "leak internally";
no fluid escapes, but the seals simply no longer keep all the fluid in
its proper chamber (or wherever it's supposed to be going).

A rebuild with a proper Lucas/Girling rebuild kit is fairly
straightforward. Bleeding the system upon reassembly is often the
toughest part on these, but a Mityvac or similar pressure bleeding system
might help.

--Andy

p.s. Did I read right? This car only has 3k miles? Cool!