Re: door fit on TR4

To: TOMNJENI@postoffice.worldnet.att.net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: door fit on TR4
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 15:19:27 -0500 (EST)

> Hello again Arthur. I have some concerns about my doors as I approach the
>  body restoration on my 1962 TR4. There is a large margin between the rear
>  vertical edge of the left door and the body. The margin is large on the
>  right also but not as dramatic. I dont believe there has been any
>  signifigant damage ever to this car as I bought it from the original
>  owners' son. I was wondering if there are any frame or body issues that
are
>  commonplace that may cause this condition or if you have any other ideas?
>  Any insight you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tom Carr.

Tom, good to hear from you again.  What is the condition of your rocker
panels and floor pans?  Damage there could result in the front or rear
vertical panels being tilted.  Another thing is the condition of the door
hinges and whether they have been bent.

Is the space the same in the front of the door and in the rear?  In other
words - is the door centered in the open space of the body?  What about on
the passenger's side?

NOW having said that - there is more space on my driver's side than you would
see on today's cars but I think mine has to do with me needing to replace my
rocker panels.  A story - back in '67 I backed out of my garage with the
driver's door open and hit the door right on the edge.  This bent the front
vertical support or the hinges which I was able to straighten out (was very
minor - didn't even scratch or chip the paint) by pulling on the door.

Do you have Piggott's book yet?  The pictures are good and you might want to
compare them to your car.   What you describe is a subjective/relative
problem so it is hard for me to give you a definitive answer.  Also the
Bentleys manual (mine is not with me here), if I remember, has the dimensions
relating to positioning of the body parts.

BTW - this is where club membership and attendance at rallys come in handy.
 They give us a chance to look at other cars and make comparisons. :-)  And
are fun.

I hope this has been of help to you.  Please come back at me with your ideas
etc.   Cheers

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (original owner)

P.S. I'm posting this to the list to see if anyone else wants to comment. amk