Re: TR4 engine refurbishment

To: dmericas@limno.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 engine refurbishment
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 15:19:21 -0500 (EST)

> I appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions.
>  ------------------------------------------------
>  Dean Mericas
>  1965 TR4 (CT37089L)
>  1988 Saab 900S

Dean, I'll let the heavy-duty mechanics advise you on what to do with the
engine.  I was going to suggest rings as long as you have it apart but if
your compression ratio is as high as you say and the inner walls of the
liners look good then you might not need them.  Note: just saw some good
answers on the list to your engine questions.

Also - I wanted to tell you that your TR4 is a '64 (might have been first
titled in '65).  The first TR4 to roll off the line in Jan '65 was CT40193.
 Since mine, CT33118L was built in April '64, yours was probably built in
late fall or early Winter '64.  If you are interested in more details on that
here are two good sources:

            1.  Original Triumph TR  by Bill Piggott

            2. the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust - they have
available a Production Record Certificate (which is suitable for framing).
 It has the comm. #, engine#, body#, export specifications, exterior,
interior and hood colours,
build date, ship date, destination, key numbers, wheel type, heater
fitment, windscreen fitment, steering lock fitment, tyre type.  Details for
ordering are below (someone, (Jack Mc), posted them to the list several
months ago).

>>Production Record Certificate available from the British Motor Industry
Heritage Trust (BMIHT). They have a home page at
http://www.ipl.co.uk/MG/herit00a.html  [those 00 are zeroes]
Contrary to what their home page says, they WILL take a Visa card.
 The cost is 20 english pounds ($31.21 when I did it in May) You can phone,
 fax, or snail mail your request to them with your name, address, car comm.#
 and credtit card # and the certificate will be in your hands in less than a
 week. It's a nice looking certificate and will show complete information
 about your car as it left the factory (right down to brand of tyre) as well
 as the date built, date dispatched, and distributor it was shipped too.
 Their address:  BMIHT, Academic Services
                        Heritage Motor Center
                        Banbury Rd, Gaydon
                        Warwickshire, CV35 OBJ
                        United Kingdom
 phone: (01926)641188     fax:  (01926)641555  <<

If I can be of further help, please come back to me.  Cheers

Art Kelly '64 TR4 CT33118L (original owner)
Vintage Triumph Register (VTR) TR4 vehicle consultant