Re: TR4 engine refurbishment

To: Dean Mericas <dmericas@limno.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 engine refurbishment
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 07:51:19 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 13 Mar 1997, Dean Mericas wrote:

> I am seeking some group wisdom here on my options regarding the
> engine in my TR4.
>
> I figure the following are no brainers:
> -  Regrind crank to least oversize possible

        Have the crank checked for cracks and shot peaned

> -  Oversize main and rod bearings
> -  Oil pump (as per recent thread)

        good move, I might suggest the unit from British Frame and Engine

> -  Front seal
> -  Timing chain and tensioner

        Check the chain and gears while you're at it... If the teeth are
        worn (the tips of the teeth will be sharp if the gears are worn)
        replace both the gears and the chain

> -  Clutch assembly
> -  Pilot bearing
> -  Balance crank and clutch assembly

        If you intend to balance the crank balance the pistons and rods
        as well (no sense in going half way)

> -  Replace any hoses, etc. that look questionable

        Replace ALL the hoses (no sense in puttin old stuff back on a new
         engine)

        If your cam looks a bit pitted replace it or have it reground,
        also look at the tappets see if they are worn or pitted, replace
        as needed... Since we're in the valve train, look at the push
        rods see if they are straight (test them by rolling them on a flat
        surface like a plate of glass... If they are bent you'll hear it).
        Check your rocker arm shaft for wear, replace if needed. If you
        replace the shaft, the rocker arms have sleeves that will need to be
        replaced and machined to fit the new shaft.

> I am also considering a 87 mm piston/liner set, but the additional
> $5-600 for parts is sobering, especially since the compression is
> apparently good.

        If compression is good, just ridge ream and hone the bores (to break
         the glaze) and replace the rings

> I noted some light pitting on one of the camshaft lobes.  Should I
> assume that it will need to be replaced?  What about the cam bearings?

        They need to go too. Once installed the new ones need to be align
        bored

> How about the rear oil seal conversion kit?  It would be nice to
> reduce the seepage/drippage rate, but another $100 plus machine work
> will add to the financal pain.

        If you KNOW the leak is coming from that source sure go ahead,
        you can also just replace your old unit with a factory original...

> I appreciate any thoughts/comments/suggestions.
> Dean Mericas
> 1965 TR4 (CT37089L)
> 1988 Saab 900S
> 1991 Saab 9000T