Re: Ammeters, water in oil

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net, Andrew Linkens <alinkens@pcsi.cirrus.com>
Subject: Re: Ammeters, water in oil
From: bill nichol <bnicho19@bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 07:53:33 -0500
Andrew Linkens wrote:

> Hi,
>         On the subject of ammeters, a friend of mine helped me diagnose a
> charging problem on my Herald using a clip-on ammeter - basically a -60 to +60
> Amps dial with a 'bulldog clip' mounted beneath it. You could simply clip it
> over your battery lead and watch as the engine was started and revved etc. The
> advantage of this is that
> 1) The wiring isn't disturbed.
> 2) No changes to the instrument panel
> 3) Very handy to test your other cars or your friends cars or your friends
> other cars....
>
> Unfortunately I don't know where these are available (he picked his up for a
> few quid at a car boot sale) but if anyone else knows or has even made one (it
> must be fairly simple - except perhaps for the calibration - even then it only
> need be accurate to a couple of amps) please let me know.
>
>         On the subject of water in the oil - if after a long drive the creamy
> deposit on the filler cap still doesn't go away - check the breathing of the
> engine before removing the head. I had a blocked crankcase breather on a
> previous car that was preventing the water vapour from exiting the crankcase
> and of course when the engine cooled down - condensation and water in the oil!
> I replaced the breather and the problem never came back again. Saved a lot of
> unnecessary bother - worth a try IMHO!
>
> Andy
> Herald
> 2.5S
Andy,
The amp meter you are refering to operates on the magnetic field
generated by current flow. I have one that measures up to 200 amps for
ckng current draw on turbine starters. Electricians use a style that
clips around the wire for trouble shooting.(More accurate more money)
Several models should be availible and any electrical supply house. Not
practicle for permanent mounting in our dash but great for trouble
shooting.
Bill
78spit
80wedge