Re: Overdrive swapping<c=US%a=_%p=Astea%l=BENDATA_EXCH-970312224754Z-250

To: Greg Tobin <GTOBIN@astea.com>
Subject: Re: Overdrive swapping<c=US%a=_%p=Astea%l=BENDATA_EXCH-970312224754Z-2507@bendata_exch.astea.com>
From: Richard Jackson <RICHARD.JACKSON@NENE.AC.UK>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 09:17:35 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
You wrote,

>   The MKIV has the original 1300cc in excellent shape and 4 speed, no
> overdrive. The 1500 has a Type J overdrive and a bad motor.
> The MKIV spins over 4500 rpm at 60mph and needs an overdrive.  I cannot
> find a Type-D for a reasonable price, either attached to a tranny or no.
>

>   What is the easiest swap here?
>  The Type-J to the rear of the 1300 tranny?
>  The whole 1500 tranny/Type-J to the 1300 engine?
>  The 1500 engine/tranny/Type-J into the 1300. (I know this is ultimately
> better for power, etc, but would much prefer not to do this.)

You can use the whole J-type gearbox and overdrive on the 1300, all you
need do is use the 1300 pressure plate with a friction plate from a 1300
Dolomite(I think), you can get these from John Kippings over here(If thats
any use), to check all this, email John, can't remember his address but
it'll be at his web site at :- http://www.kipping.co.uk

Cheerio

Rich

ps, you'll need the prop shaft of the 1500 too!