re: Ammeters, water in oil

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re: Ammeters, water in oil
From: Andrew Linkens <alinkens@pcsi.cirrus.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1997 08:54:02 -0800
Conversation-id: <BMSMTP8582712861alinkens@farnborough>
Hi,
        On the subject of ammeters, a friend of mine helped me diagnose a
charging problem on my Herald using a clip-on ammeter - basically a -60 to +60
Amps dial with a 'bulldog clip' mounted beneath it. You could simply clip it
over your battery lead and watch as the engine was started and revved etc. The
advantage of this is that
1) The wiring isn't disturbed.
2) No changes to the instrument panel
3) Very handy to test your other cars or your friends cars or your friends
other cars....

Unfortunately I don't know where these are available (he picked his up for a
few quid at a car boot sale) but if anyone else knows or has even made one (it
must be fairly simple - except perhaps for the calibration - even then it only
need be accurate to a couple of amps) please let me know.

        On the subject of water in the oil - if after a long drive the creamy
deposit on the filler cap still doesn't go away - check the breathing of the
engine before removing the head. I had a blocked crankcase breather on a
previous car that was preventing the water vapour from exiting the crankcase
and of course when the engine cooled down - condensation and water in the oil!
I replaced the breather and the problem never came back again. Saved a lot of
unnecessary bother - worth a try IMHO!

Andy
Herald
2.5S