Re: TR3 Water Pump

To: tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Water Pump
From: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 21:14:47 EST
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 02 Mar 1997 11:46:01 -0500 Doug Mathews
<tr3run@peachnet.campus.mci.net> writes:
>I may have to replace the water pump on my 63TR3 and in looking
>through the
>parts catalogs, there appear to be 2 types, one with a press fit
>pulley,
>and one with the "original" bolt on, key in shaft type. I'd prefer the
>latter. Any comments or recommendations from those that have replaced
>TR3-4
>water pumps?

Doug,

Sorry to be so delinquent, but I just finished researching all this pump
stuff and here are the answers to the best of my knowledge.  I am copying
the list for others and in case I misstate (or misspell) something.

You are correct there are two variants of water pump, each requiring
their own pulleys.  I located a source of almost original AE brand pumps
which are reputed to be what triumph dealers used as spares.  Others have
sources for these also.  They are nicely made and, although I have not
confirmed it yet, accommodate the original pulleys.

The pumps currently being sold by Moss TRF, VB etc are reputed to be
Chinese knock offs which required you to buy the matching pulley also.
They work just fine if used with the correct pulley!  My TR3 came with a
knockoff water pump and original pulley.  It eventually started making  a
h*ll of a racket in the front of the engine.  Just the pulley on the pump
housing, but I though something was going to detonate up there.  Make
sure pulley matches the pump.

Neither of these pumps includes a grease nipple.  The AE pump still has
the casting boss where the nipple went, but due to the advent of the
sealed bearing, the periodic grease shot is assumed to be no longer
needed.  Alternatively, if you wanted the concourse look, there is no
reason you could not drill and tap a blind hole for a grease nipple.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance or if you want
the name/number of my supplier.  I don't have it here at home.

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, New Jersey
1960 TR3-A TS69032L
1974 Norton 850 Commando Roadster