Re: TR4 Tranny's

To: Jack I Brooks <jibrooks@juno.com>
Subject: Re: TR4 Tranny's
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 12:38:01 -0600 (CST)
Cc: Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Tue, 11 Mar 1997, Jack I Brooks wrote:

> As an aside to the recent thread about TR4 trannies in TR3's I can report
> the following combination in my TR3A
>
> Commision  # TS69032L
> Engine        # TS69329E
> Tranny        # CT54064
>
> I know the Tranny is a TR4 of some sort. Does anyone have any idea of
> year, etc. this transmission came from?    Also, (Art Kelley and Bob
> Paul) does this shed any light on what can be mated up to a TR3 engine?

        My guess is that the Trans came from a TR4A. Numbers for the TR4 were
        somewhere around 49,100...  It might be interesting to compare your
        flywheel clutch/pressure plate assy. to an original TR3 set up.
        The TR4A had a different clutch/pressure plate that required moving
        the locating pin on the flywheel. The TR3 and early TR4 Clutch
        assy were the same. Your a TR4 Tranny on a TR3 is not uncommon a mod.
        It's advantageous to have synchro on all gears... Of course it
        might be that it was the only Triumph tranny at the knackers when
        some DPO needed a quick fix.

        BTW, as an interesting asside here, my TR4 had a TR3 trans in it when
        I bought it. The engine number frame were close eneough to be
        original. The tranny was way off... The DPO strikes! Other non
        original equipment included a later head, and non-standard Stromberg
        Zenith carbs...

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois