Spitfire repairs

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Spitfire repairs
From: "Ginter, G M (Michael)" <GinteGM@LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 12:57:33 -0700
First the story....

Shortly after I purchased my Spit from the original owner, I had to
remove a 1 inch plug if rust from the pickup tube of the fuel tank.  The
car had been garaged for over 8 years.  This weekend I decided to go
ahead and pull the tank to have it boiled.  After 500 miles, I had
significant fine rust particles in the brand new fuel filter I
installed.  Then I decided to pull the driver's seat to have the broken
seat back welded ( PO was a rather large woman).  Then I thought "you
know that carpet looks awfully dirty, I think I'll pull it and blast it
at the car wash while waiting for the tank to be boiled and the seat to
be welded".  Out it came.  Whadya know, there is a little surface rust
(very little) on the side pod where it meets the floorpan and also on
the pan.  I remembered the broken transmission tunnel cover, and made
the decision to replace it with an ABS cover.  Then the rear quarter
panels looked really crappy, so I pulled them off too.  Too make a long
story no longer than I already have, the interior is gutted except for
the door panels and dash (those will be another story).

Now, the questions.

Can people who have purchased houndstooth seat covers from the leading
suppliers (TRF, Moss, VB), please advise me as to the quality of their
respective vendors products?  The prices do vary substantially, which
leads one to believe that there are corresponding differences in
quality.

There was some discussion a while back about prohibiting surface rust
via the use of various products.  Could someone summarize that thread?
I would like a solution that doesn't require body work (especially in
that area of the tub), as I am not doing a complete restoration.  I want
a daily driver anyway (sans winter/rain).

Mike
79 Spit