Re: TR4 Tranny's

To: jibrooks@juno.com, Triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 Tranny's
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:42:13 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-11 22:48:58 EST, jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
writes:

<< As an aside to the recent thread about TR4 trannies in TR3's I can report
 the following combination in my TR3A

 Commision  # TS69032L
 Engine        # TS69329E
 Tranny        # CT54064

 I know the Tranny is a TR4 of some sort. Does anyone have any idea of
 year, etc. this transmission came from?    Also, (Art Kelley and Bob
 Paul) does this shed any light on what can be mated up to a TR3 engine?

Jack;
The CT means TR4, 4A  solid axle series in terms of VINs.  The number 54064,
assuming some kind of  similar relationship between VINs and transmission
numbers as in the TR 2/3 , would make it according to Piggotts "Original
Triumph TR" ,( the BEST book detailing production changes by VIN) a fairly
early TR 4A built in 1965.

I don't know much about the changes in the guts of these transmissions, but
your set up illustrates one possibility easily achieved in combination of
engine/tranny.  You still might have one of two possible
flywheel/clutch/TOB/Pressure plate sets inside.  I guess you could even be
running the early starter motor, if the flywheel is an early type.

Bob Paul
TS45738L"O"
TS7280L