Re: GT6s at Le Mans

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: GT6s at Le Mans
From: Ljbtvr@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 14:08:21 -0500 (EST)
Previously I wrote:

>Now for my question- Does anyone know of any literature about the
>appearance of any GT6s at Le Mans?  A couple of years ago I attended the
>vintage races at Watkins Glen and camped next to a blue/yellow striped
>race prepared GT6 that had plates in it indicating an appearance at Le
>Mans.  Although I photgraphed the car I never spoke to the owner.  I
>know spitfire coupes went to the race and the GT6 came from this I've
>never seen anything about GT6s there.  I wonder if a list of
>entrants/finishing positions exists from the late '60s that covers the
smaller
>teams.

Upon further examination of my photos with a magnifying glass I have found
the
following details:

1. A sticker across the top of the windshield has this: a Union Jack, an
unreadable square, "24 HEURES DU MANS", "10-11 JUIN 196? (either 8
or 9, I can't tell), another unreadable square, another Union Jack, and
"BRG".  I checked a perpetual calendar for these two years and in '68 June
10-11 was a Monday -Tuesday, while '69 was a Tuesday-Wednesday.
Would the race have been run mid-week?
2. The car is badged as a GT6+ (does this indicate US origin?).
3. The bonnet has plated-over cutouts which seem to indicate that Webers
were fitted at some time.
4. Two stickers on the rear window read: "BRITISH RACING GROUP",
and "OVERSEAS VISITOR" (with a Union Jack).
5. The driver's name over the door is "Mark Loucks".  The car # is 26.
6. Inside on the dash is an engraved brass plate with (I think) the words
"1968
 GT6+
Le Mans"
7. Also on the dash over the center guages is: "KICK THE TIRE LIGHT
THE FIRE AND ENJOY YOURSELF".
8. Another "24 HEURES DU MANS" sticker inside.
9. The car appears to be professionally prepared although there are some
details that indicate it has been updated to current regulations. I
specifically
note the towing eye at the front.

Maybe with all of this someone can identify the car and its history.

Larry Bickel
ljbtvr@aol.com
Lancaster, PA
'68 GT6, my racer
'71 TVR 2500 (TR6 driveline), my street car and sometimes racer