Re: GT6s at Le Mans

To: James Sudduth <james.sudduth@autodesk.com>
Subject: Re: GT6s at Le Mans
From: Scott McGibney <aa372@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca>
Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 10:09:14 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
I don't have "The Works Triumphs" (yet) but Robson's "Spitfire & GT6"
has a few paragraphs and photos of the GT6R prototype which was being
prep'd for the 1966 Le Mans race when the project was abandoned due to
costs. Too bad as it certainly was a looker - don't know about
negotiating that tight right hander at the end of the Mulsanne straight
with swing axle and drum brakes at the rear and two litre urging on the
front! As far as any non factory efforts in the late sixteys, I couldn't
find any reference to Triumphs - there were these really nasty German
beasts going under the moniker of Porche that had the two litre classes
pretty well covered (and gave a few frights to some of the big bore boys too)
As well assorted Alphas, Renaults and the odd Dino Ferrari would have
made running a GT6 pretty futile.

Tiddly trivia detail - the hardtop for the le Mans Spits was actually
pulled off the GT6 prototype (well, ok, it was technically a Spitfire
hardtop prototype untill somebody got the bright idea of shoehorning in
the six).

Question - has anyone got/seen the videotape of the Triumphs at Sebring -
I think it's about the Spits and the great flood. I'd be interested in
know if it's worth getting (and if/where it's available)