CARB "scrapping law" re-emerges

To: detomaso@wgate.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: CARB "scrapping law" re-emerges
From: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 97 15:32:02 PST
All,
        Surfing the net a bit, I alighted at the home page for
the "Speed Equipment Manufacturers Association.", also known
as SEMA (http://www.sema.org).

        On their consumer-alert page, SEMA is very concerned
about the recently-released (Feb 1997) California Air Resources Board
(CARB) draft of the state-wide vehicle scrappage program established
by passage of SB501 in 1995. SEMA urges all enthusiasts to attend a workshop
held by CARB to hear the view of enthusiasts on this draft.  The
meeting is TODAY, Friday, March 7 from 7:00pm - 9:00pm at CARB,
9530 Telstar Avenue, Annex 4, El Monte, CA.

        See http://www.sema.org/alert/redhotissues.html for more
information.

        What is the scrappage law?  Some of the details are:

  Draft regulation details: CARB's draft of the scrappage program allows
  all cars to be eligible for the program whether or not they are high
  polluters. Hobbyist are allowed a mere 10-14 days to rescue them from
  the crusher. Worse, the eligibility of the car for rescue is totally
  dependent on whether or not the vehicle owner wants to offer the car
  for sale. Under the proposal, cars not offered for sale by the owner
  get crushed and cars offered for sale but not sold get crushed --
  there will be no opportunity to retrieve any parts from the car.

(from http://www.sema.org/alert/redhot2.html).

Cool, huh?

        Finally, for those of you who have given me a hard time on
raising SMOG2 issues, let me fill you in on a little gotcha written
into the dyno test:  the last part of the test is to increase the
rpm of the engine from idle to the test point of 2500 rpm, where it
remains for 2 minutes.  The throttle is then released, and the rpm
MUST DROP TO AND SETTLE WITHIN 50 RPM OF THE IDLE RPM measured at the
beginning of the test.  Rpm measured electronically.  If it fails this
pal, you got a gross polluter, and it doesnt matter if your car
passed on the pollutants tests.

        Can you see a difference of 50prm on your tach?

        Shane Ingate in San Diego