Re: CARB "scrapping law" re-emerges

To: ingate@shiseis.com (Shane F. Ingate)
Subject: Re: CARB "scrapping law" re-emerges
From: Kris Cotton <krisc@pi.bns.com.au>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 21:15:16 +0900
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>remains for 2 minutes.  The throttle is then released, and the rpm
>MUST DROP TO AND SETTLE WITHIN 50 RPM OF THE IDLE RPM measured at the
>beginning of the test.  Rpm measured electronically.  If it fails this
>pal, you got a gross polluter,
------------------                    --------------------            ---------
Hi Shane & gang
Just for the record will a brand new car off of the showroom floor pass this
test not the idle but the emissions.? some not all maybe.
Is there a time limit on the dropping of the RPM''s to idle if its allowed
to snap shut I suspect that any older vehicle will not pass, as most
increase emissions at this time due to unburnt fuel passing through the
cylinders & out. .Also the sudden "vacuum" would cause a small amout of oil
from the valve stems to be sucked in.
Maybe we will have to get computer modules & fuel injecters for our cars...??
Scrapping law: that sounds like  a real good way to rid the country of older
cars and sell new cars to the suckers. who is behind this law, I
wonder....Hmmm?
As an adjunct I've just watched the Grand Prix cars , and watched the heat
haze coming of of the cars on the starting grid with the excess fuel as
well, Does anyone take this into account with their emission amounts.
Don't get me wrong I did my time with 3/4 midgets as they used to be
called,racing bikes,and racing cars and I wouldn't stop racing, but wonder
if some groups would use racing figures to weight the arguments in their
favour?
I think that is all I should say on the subject.
Tony