Re: Missing Engine and Ballast res.

To: Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 <Richard_Ceraldi-ERC004@email.mot.com>
Subject: Re: Missing Engine and Ballast res.
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 1997 18:49:19 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Richard Ceraldi-ERC004 wrote:

> Scions,
>   I need an opinion and you are the best for more than I will ever need.
>   Here is the problem and my temp. solution. The car misses terribly over
> 2000 rpm. If I disconnect the Ballast Resistor and connect the two leads
> together the car runs perfect. If I reconnect the Ballast the engine goes
> back to Crap.
>   My first thought was the resistor is bad but the TRF guy told me it was
> the coil and the replacement coil has the ballast resistor built in now. So
> I went ahead and ordered the replacement coil without an external resistor.
>   Does this sound right? I am heading out on a road trip to New Orleans in a
> couple of weeks and don't need any surprises.
> Thanks,
> Richard Ceraldi
> 71 GT6 MKIII KF166L
> Austin, TX
> www.exact.com/~gt6mk3

Richard,

Are your writing about the ballast resistor or the drive resistor(I
don't think they were used on that early a car)? On Spitfires the ballast
resistor is buried in the wiring harness as a Pink/white wire. If indeed
you do have a problem with the ballast resistor and replace the OEM coil
with an after market, with internal ballast, be sure to by-pass that
pink/white wire with a circuit that will supply 12 v. to the "+" coil
connection during cranking as well as normal running. What make and kind
of coil are they selling you? Just make sure it is internally ballasted
(3-4 ohms across the two primary terminals).

Hope that helps,
Charlie B.