Re: hubcaps [longish response; TR owners may delete now ;-)]

To: robert ylitalo <robert.ylitalo@kiruna.se>
Subject: Re: hubcaps [longish response; TR owners may delete now ;-)]
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 1997 11:04:20 +0500 (EST)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
On Tue, 4 Mar 1997, you wrote:

> Where can i get hubcaps to a spitfire mk2 1965. I want the type of
> hubcaps that was on the spitfires that was exported to the U.S
> --
> Robert Ylitalo

Robert, I assume you are referring to the "Air-Flow" wheel covers offered
as an accessory on U.S. Heralds and Spitfires. I'm pretty sure that these
were sourced in the U.S., as very similar wheel covers appeared on cars
before the Herald and Spitfire as well as after. Some of the early (1960
or 1961) Plymouth Valiants had a similar wheel cover, although these also
had the Valiant emblem embossed in the center. Around 1970, the first
American Motors Gremlins also used a "plain" (no emblems embossed in the
center) version of this wheel cover.

There are at least two varieties that I have identified over the years on
Triumphs. The early ones, which appeared first around 1964, were actually
"sided"; there were different ones for left and right sides of the car.
The "vents" around the wheel cover actually were flared out so as to help
draw cooling air in for the brakes. The difference between left and right
side is obvious when the two appear side-by-side. As if that weren't
enough, they were stamped in ink LEFT or RIGHT on the inside.

On some later versions of this same wheel cover, the vents were flattened
down again, serving then mostly as decoration. These later ones are
(almost?) identical to those used on the Gremlin.

It seems relatively unlikely that one would routinely find these wheel
covers outside the U.S., but they turn up here in the U.S. from time to
time.

Interestingly enough (well, to me anyway), the 1969 U.S. Spitfire Mk.3
came with a wheel cover almost identical to that of a mid-1960s U.S. Dodge
Dart. Again, this undoubtedly was U.S.-sourced. The 1970 U.S. Spitfire
Mk.3, though, came with a wheel cover that I have seen pictured on 1970
home-model Triumphs such as the GT6 Mk.2 and perhaps some 2000 or 2.5
sedans as well. That wheel cover must have come from Ace or some other UK
supplier.

--Andy