RE: Spitfire Electrical Problems

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Spitfire Electrical Problems
From: "Barry H. Adams" <badams@cyberport.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 1997 06:05:03 -0700
Michael:

I currently have the dash out of my 74 Spitfire and am doing some work on
the wiring, particularly on the harness by the fuse block.  I also had some
fried wires in this area.  The DPO had interconnected the oil pressure
warning light and the ignition waring light.  I'm also replacing the fuse
block with an after market fuse block and am locating in on the interior
(left side kick panel).  Looks real good!  I did this because all the
connectors on the original panel were badly corroded and loose.  A new
panel was $44.00 and would have required pulling the main harness in the
engine compartment.  The heavier after market panel, which has an 8 Fuse
capacity was $13.00 plus I feel that it will be less subject to abuse on
the interior. Made a cover for it from a Radio Shack plastic project box.

I'm sure your certain that the wires you are referring to in this area are
Black/Blue and not Black/Purple.  If they are Black/Purple these wires are
generally associated with the oil and brake warning systems lights (at
least on my car).  Also, there is a Purple/Black that goes to the horn
button. Do your oil and brake warning lights work?  If not, I would suspect
those are the wires your dealing with and some simple continuity checks
should confirm this.

On my 74 there are 5 grounds (all black) in the vicinity of the battery.
Two come from the small harness that goes to the wiper motor and are
grounded by its attaching bolts.  Three come from the larger harness on the
driver's side of the battery and are attached to the negative post of the
battery.

Barry H. Adams
74 Spitfire