Re: TR4 transmission

To: ArthurK101@aol.com, rgs03@health.state.ny.us, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR4 transmission
From: EPaul21988@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 10:18:52 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-03 21:09:01 EST, ArthurK101@aol.com writes:

<<   I've heard that if it's a later trans I'd need to swap the flywheel,
 starter and clutch
 >  ass'y. but that an early TR4 trans might plug right in.

Arthur;
I'm assuming you're wanting to bolt in an OD box.  The OD non OD is not the
biggest issue when swapping trannys.  For the purpose of interchangeability
it helps to think in terms of 'sets' when swapping transmissions in the 4
cyl. TR.  A 'set' consists of 1. starter, 2. flywheel & ring gear, 3. clutch
and pressure plate, 4. transmission, either OD or Non OD.

The engines can be thought of , for the purpose of interchangeability, as
identical, as is the drive shaft.  The 'set' goes in between. You must have
one of each component to complete the car. The components must work together
and not all components will mix to make a set. There are direct conflicts
between some specific parts.
Transmission cases conflict with starter motors because of the lenght of the
starter nose and the size of the tranny bulge.  Starter motors conflict with
flywheel/ring gears because of tooth patterns.  Flywheels conflict with
pressure plates because of mounting holes.

For the purpose of interchangeability of components:

There are two different starters:
1S. early - short, bullet nose.
2S. later -  long nose, spring on the end.

There are 3 different flywheels
1F. - shrink on ring gear.  Tooth pattern requires  1S.
2F. - bolt on ring gear. Tooth pattern requires  2S.
3F. -  bolt on ring gear. Tooth pattern requires 2S .  Pressure plate
mounting holes  require 2 CP below.

There are two different clutch/pressure plate set ups.
1CP. TR2 through TR4.  Works with 1F or 2F not 3F.
2CP TR4A with 8 1/2 mounting holes. Requires 3F.

There are two different transmissions.  Ignore OD not OD for now.
1T - Fitted to TR2 through  TR3 TS50000. Smaller bulge for starter 1S, 2S
won't fit, nose too long, hits tranny case.
2T. Fitted to all 4 cyl cars after TS50000.  1S or 2S will fit. The bulge in
the case for the starter is longer.I'm ignoring the 1/2 in additional length
of the TR4 unit as not an issue here since simple adjustments at mounts takes
care of it.
Not addressed here as irrelevant to interchangeability of entire
transmissions are differences among/between internals, of which there are
several  not to mention OD units.

1S, 1F, 1CP , 1T OR 2T  required as a set.
2S , 2F, 1CP, and 2T  required as a set.
2S, 3F, 2CP and  2T required as a set

Did I miss anything here List?

Over the years any of these sets might have been installed into any of the
4cyl TRs.  Just because you have an early TR3 does not mean you have the
components installed at birth !  Check what you have in there first.  Make
sure your 'set'  matches and you're off.
Hope this is not too confusing.
Bob Paul