TR3 Non-Skirted Thermostat

To: lattimer@tenet.edu
Subject: TR3 Non-Skirted Thermostat
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 13:04:30 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Chuck Lattimer wrote:

  "Your thoughts on the use of a shroud are mistaken.  The shroud is
  designed to work with the fan when the car is moving slowly or not moving
  at all.  As you probably know, at higher speeds a fan is not necessary,
  and neither is the shroud."

I'm not sure I agree with your last sentence, Chuck. I agree a fan is not
necessary at high speeds - in fact, it is a hinderance . As for the shroud, I
think that is only true if the shroud is behind the radiater, surrounding the
fan. As I understand it, a shroud in front of the radiater serves to ensure
that all the air entering the grille aperature passes through the radiater
instead of around it. Air passing around the radiater provides virtualy no
cooling. A shroud behind the radiater ensures that the air moved by the fan
is pulled through the radiater, and not just recirculated behind the it.

As I am installing a Ford 5.0 engine in my TR6, this question is of vital
interest to me. Any one have any further info on this subject?

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN