Re: TR3 Non-Skirted Thermostat

To: kinderlehrer@mindspring.com, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: TR3 Non-Skirted Thermostat
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 19:21:09 -0500 (EST)
In a message dated 97-03-01 15:57:09 EST, kinderlehrer@mindspring.com
(Kinderlehrer's) writes:

> and when I pulled into my
> driveway soon after and turned it off, coolant was dripping out of the
>overflow. So, I am not quite there yet.

That means that the coolant is boiling.  Pressure in the system will raise
the boiling point of the coolant.  You should have 7 (or 4lbs) depending on
the radiator cap. You might want to have a mechanic check your cooling system
pressure.  Simple job -they just remove the radiator cap and screw on a
pressure guage.

> Any thoughts on the next steps?  There was mention in the thread of missing
>  shrouds.  I probably am missing this since there is nothing in front of
the
>  radiator except the grille and nothing behind but the fan. Since my
problem
>  is at idle and it seems the shroud would be for channeling air at speed,
>  this probably won't provide the biggest return, right?

The shroud is important, since it channels any air coming in - even the air
which the fan is pulling into the engine compartment at idle.  I also use
"Water Wetter" and have had excellent results from it.  Remember that the TR4
radiator is rather small and everything helps.  I have considered the over
flow bottle but have just not gotten around to it.
  BTW what about your mixture of antifreeze/water for the coolant.  More
antifreeze is NOT better.  50/50 (at least 50% water) mix is the start point.
  I usually run mine at 70% water - water cools better than antifreeze - but
I live in FL and the since the outside temp rarely goes below freezing I
don't need as much protection against it.  Good luck and let us know how it
works out.  Cheers

Art Kelly '64TR4 CT33118L (original owner)