Re: Gas Tanks

To: esc@firstnethou.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gas Tanks
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:13:43 -0500
In a message dated 96-10-31 21:03:59 EST, Eric C. wrote:

<< When I used to fly a Cessna 152 I was always told to leave the plane with
 full tanks because otherwise as the air/vapor in the tank cooled at night
  moisture would be drawn in and could cause the tank to rust out over time.
   The full tank had less air/vapor and so would draw in less moisture.>>

Most aircraft fuel tanks since the 1940's (and actually most even before
then) are aluminum.  They don't rust.  The reason for this admonition is
actually the old "water in the gas -- engine dies" problem.

<<  So if you are going to leave it in a non-airconditioned place I suggest
 that you leave it full of something (not water) or plug up all the holes
REAL GOOD.
 If it will be airconditioned I would just empty it and set it on a shelf
somewhere after it was dry. >>

An empty tank is not really too likely to take on moisture just sitting on a
shelf.  Dropping a bag of dessiccant into the tank and putting some plastic
wrap, etc. over the openings might be a good idea, but probably not at all
critical.

-Karl