Re: Gas Tanks

To: DUHART JOHN <duhart@symbol.com>
Subject: Re: Gas Tanks
From: Martin Libhart <mlibhart@fn.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 09:36:45 +0000
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
John:

My advice, based on just completed restoration of my Spitfire fuel
tank:

My tank was in deplorable condition on the inside, but it was not
leaking.  Previous owner had let it sit for several years with some
gas and water in it.  I drained it, filled it with water, drained
again, and let it air dry outside for two days.  Then I had a good
local radiator shop clean it out - they didn't boil it out, but rather
used a special ultrasonic system that they also use on radiators and
heater cores. (This was $28 and well worth it!) It looked great after
this.  I then used Eastwood's 3-part gas tank sealer system (about $30
for my 10 gallon tank).  I'm now comfortable with the tank being in
storage for a year or so while I finish my restoration of the car.

Martin Libhart
Wichita, KS
1970 Spitfire-In-Progress