Re: Valve-job

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valve-job
From: mah16@cornell.edu (Marie A Harkins)
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 21:57:46 -0500
>Well in the on-going saga of my Stag with the TR6 engine problems, if you
>have followed the list you'll recall I started out with a PSSFT sound that
>truned out to be an exhaust valve that the mechanic thought was carboned up.
>
>Well I didn't try the water in the carbs but had him pull the head instead.
>Worse than I thought., the valve guide for the offending exhaust valve was
>slopped out and numerous problems were caused by that.
>
>So now what.  Valve guide is part of head and not removable or replaceable.
>TRF says 6 to 8 weeks for new head maybe.  Moss says forget it.  Mechanic
>says. let me take it to a local machine shop and see if they can bore out
>the valve guide and make a new one.
>
>Yikes folks!  Any comments.
>
>lchillin
>'73 STRag (sort of)

Well, I'm confused by this. As far as I can tell the valve guides in the
TR6 head are pressed in and are certainly replaceable, since I had mine all
replaced this last Spring during a valve job. And I'm really confused about
TRF since they are the ones I bought the new guides from!? Maybe your head
is different from most others??

Curious and confused;

Bill

mah16@cornell.edu