Re: Hammer for wire wheels

To: Gary Oehrle <oehrle@lsil.com>
Subject: Re: Hammer for wire wheels
From: "Scott D. Sanders" <ssanders@mail.coin.missouri.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 02:00:29 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Gary Oehrle wrote:

> I have been told that  "dead shot" hammer works best--a pvc hammer filed
> with lead shot.  In addition that Snap On tools makes ones that sales for
> about $60 bucks.
>
> I have seen soemthing close in Orchard Supply here in the bay area but not
> quite the mass for about $15.00.

hi gary, i have no wire wheel experience, but as a midwest USA farmer, we
use a dead blow hammer a lot. i think the snap-on one also has oil in it
in addition to lead shot. a 24 oz dead blow will easily out-pound a 32 oz
regular hammer, so i would guess go gently on the wheels. it doesn't
bounce (when hitting something solid), transmitting more energy, blah,
blah.  usually quality tools are worth the difference in price if you will
want to continue using them. a case in point, we regularly abuse locking
pliers, and destroy all half-price imports, but have never yet completely
destroyed the more expensive Vise-Grip brand.