Re: Hammer for wire wheels

To: oehrle@lsil.com
Subject: Re: Hammer for wire wheels
From: jibrooks@juno.com (Jack I Brooks)
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 01:35:41 EST
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Gary,

Many months ago I started a thread about a disk wheel to wire wheel
conversion, which slowly evolved into how tight the spinners should be.
Art Kelly recently published a researched article about this very topic
which detailed how the wires are self tightening and do not need to be
exceptionally tight at fitment; just drive cautiously the first mile or
two and check  to insure they are tightening.  I will send you the
article under seperate cover as I cannot send attachements.

I am not currently speaking from experience.  After this weekend I will
be, as I will be taking the wires off my TR3 for the first time.  I have
owned the car for a week and a half today.
There was a lot of conflicting information posted on these pages
(electrons?).  I just feel that the self tightening explaination was the
best.  I am a mechanical engineer and I firmly believe the spinners will
self tighten and do not need to be pounded tight.

Good luck.

Jack Brooks
Hillsdale, New Jersey
1960 TR3-A TS69032L