Re: Hammer for wire wheels

To: Gary Oehrle <oehrle@lsil.com>
Subject: Re: Hammer for wire wheels
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 06:28:18 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Mon, 28 Oct 1996, Gary Oehrle wrote:

> I just put wire wheels on my TR3 and have been cautioned about using
> the copper hammer.  seems that the ones today are a lot harder than of
> years past.
>
> I have been told that  "dead shot" hammer works best--a pvc hammer filed
> with lead shot.  In addition that Snap On tools makes ones that sales for
> about $60 bucks.

Gary,

I highly recommend buying a lead hammer as offered by British Wire Wheel
and probably others.  This is really the ultimate "dead blow" hammer as
the lead deforms around the knockoff when you strike it.  It may not sound
like much difference, but try one and you will be sold!  You can really
pound on your knockoffs with this hammer and they will not be damaged.

> I have seen soemthing close in Orchard Supply here in the bay area but not
> quite the mass for about $15.00.

I don't have their price list in front of me, but I think BWW sells the
lead hammers for around $20 - worth every penny in my opinion.

> Does anyone know another source besides Snap On or if a smaller (less
> mass) is sufficient to keep the spinners tight.

Although this was debated somewhat heatedly here not long ago, I feel that
tighter (knockoff) is better so lighter (hammer) is worser :-)

Good luck and hope this helps,
Mike Burdick
'70 Spit w/ wires.