RE: RHD Shifting

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: RHD Shifting
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 16:20:00 -0700
Encoding: 26 TEXT
Ok, so if Iunderstand all the replies I have received so far, RHS cars have the
1st & 2nd gears _away_ from the driver and the 3rd and higher gears _closer_ to
the driver. Correct? If so, it seems to be a kind of awkward arrangement
(spoken like a person who has been driving LHS cars since day 1 ;).

Or it could mean that LHS cars are driven more at high speeds and thus the
higher gears are better positioned closer to the driver.

So here are a couple more questions:

1. What are the origins of the current "standard" shift pattern? I mean the
left to right progression of the gears (I know certain cars use different
variations of this but essentially the higher the gear the further to the right
it is). Did older cars (the ones with tthe gear shift levers outside the
cockpit) have different shift patterns?

2. If one wanted to change the shift pattern from a "left-to-right" progression
to a "right-to-left" progression, is it just a linkage change or is much more
complex than that? (no I don't want to do this, I'm just curious).

Peter Zaborski, Calgary AB Canada
76 TR6 (CF58310 UO)
peterz@merak.com