Re: Removing TR6 Bumpers!

To: duhart@symbol.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Removing TR6 Bumpers!
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 18:10:01 -0500
In a message dated 96-10-23 14:00:07 EDT, duhart@symbol.COM (DUHART JOHN)
writes:

>       I was trying to remove the bumpers last night, and realized the
>bolts/nut are not the easiest things to get to!  How does someone get to
>the bolts to remove the bumpers?

John,

The best way to get the bumpers off is with a torch!  (since the bolts are
rusted on anyway.) :)

The bumpers have weld nuts and the bolts attach from inside the car.  The
best way is to use a socket wrench with a long extension and a universal
joint (wobble) adaptor so you don't have to be straight on to the bolt which
can get difficult.  If all goes well the bolts will unscrew and the bumper
will fall into your lap.

More than likely the bolts will be rusted on and will either break - if your
lucky(since they are not hardened bolts) - or the bolt heads will round off.
 The worst that could happen (and of course it happened to me) is the weld
nut breaks loose and spins freely.  I had to use a hack saw to cut the bolt
which also removed the sheet metal.

To minimize these possibilities soak the bolts with penetrating oil for weeks
before begining.  In any event good luck with your attempt.

Dave Massey, St. Louis, MO, USA
TR6Massey@aol.com