water in carb

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: water in carb
From: "Dan Harriman" <KC5GXL@pnx.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 1996 21:33:17 +0000
Comments: Authenticated sender is <KC5GXL@PNX.COM>
Hello everybody on the Triumph list. Just joined yesterday.
Getting a lot of mail. I like that! I have a '75 Spit that I am
working on. It needs a LOT of work. Maybe so much that
I will use it as a parts car instead of restoring it.
   But I digress. The reason that I am writing so soon after
joining is that I think that I can shed some light on pouring
water down the carbs. Yes, to be short, you CAN pour
any liquid down the carb. Yes, it WILL decarbon the valves
and combustion chamber. BUT, one has to be sure NOT to
pour so much liquid down the intake so as to stall the eng.
Liquids are NOT compressable! Let me repeat. Liquids
do NOT compress. A small amount of water, atf, oil, or
what have you will act as a mild bead blaster in the
chamber. It will bounce around and de-carbon the combustion
chamber and to a lessor extent, the exhaust valves. A LOT
of liquid will act as if a SOLID is in the chamber, and
a chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Something
is going to give. Probably the con-rod or the top of the piston.
   How much is a little and how much is a lot, you ask?
Glad you asked. A little will slow the engine about 500
rpm. A lot will stop the engine. Better a little than a lot.
   I have done this (put water or atf or oil) down the intake
several times in my career. I have also used atf in with
the oil. However, as far as the atf in the oil, with the
quality of today's oil, and the car buffs that frequent
lists like these, I don't think atf in oil has any practical
purpose. These are just my professional opinions. I have
been an ASE certified master mechanic for the last 25 yrs.
Good luck on removing the carbon. Hope that my reply
might be useful to anybody thinking about doing that.
   Dan
PS. When pouring water in the intake (carbs) the engine
should be running at a fast idle. 1200-1800 rpm
Dan