Re: '74 TR6 Brakes

To: triumphs@autox.TEAM.net
Subject: Re: '74 TR6 Brakes
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 15:24:47 -0400
Gary writes :

 >I rebuilt the brake system on my TR6 about 6 months ago
 >from master clyinder, pdv, lines and  repair kits and at
 >the same time swithcing to silicon brake fluid.
 >
 >Here recently the braking is not consistant.  I have brakes but
 >after a long drive they seem to be weak and I have push hard on the
 >peddle.  If I pump them they are back to normal.
 >
 >thanks for the feedback
 >
 >Gary Oehrle
 >
 >oehrle@lsil.com

Hi Gary,  have you checked for a dragging brake ?  I don't know how the
silicone fluid reacts to an overheating problem, but since you say the
problem occurs `after a long drive', it might pay to feel the wheels to
see if you have a hot one.

Also, on other cars with vacuum-operated brake boosters, there's a check
you can make upon start-up;  pump the pedal a few times and hold it down
before you start the engine.  Then, after the engine starts and pulls a
vacuum, you should be able to feel the brake pedal drop just a little,
say 1/2" before it firms up again.  Seems to me this test should work on
any car with a vacuum servo.

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
SW Ohio