Changing GT6 gearboxes

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Changing GT6 gearboxes
From: Snyderle@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 16:00:35 -0400
Subj:   Re: new member
Date:   96-10-24 18:17:27 EDT
From:   burdekij@bvsd.k12.co.us (Jane Burdekin)
>Sender:        owner-triumphs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
>To:    triumphs@autox.team.net
>
>Welcome to the list, and go for it.  I have a '67 GT6 that I've had since
'>71.  The tranny is easy to replace, from inside the car.  Mine weighs
>about 25 lbs. and you just unhook the drive shaft between the seats, bell
>housing, and lift the tranny out.  Or without the bell housing (if I
>remember correctly) several bolts.  Any way its about a day job and the
>parts are available too.  Good luck,  Jane

Just to clarify things a bit here, let me elaborate:

First, it is easier to unbolt the propellor shaft if you disconnect it from
the diff, but I assume you can get it off the gearbox by forcing the
engine/gearbox forward a bit.  But what better time than now to renew the
U-joints in the prop shaft? Also, I've always removed the passenger side
seat, since there isn't much room down there to get the gearbox out. Also,
cover the carpeting with something or remove it, your gearbox will be very
dirty.

And finally, you MUST remove the bellhousing with the gearbox. The bolts that
hold the bellhousing to the gearbox itself can only be accessed from inside
the bellhousing. Besides, you will want to renew the release bearing and make
sure the release fork is functiong properly. On a GT6, the release fork is
held on by a strange ball and socket widget that has a spring clip. On my
GT6+, that clip is missing, but I found that the fork can't be moved from its
proper position anyway. And a new fork is $80!

Good luck, have fun, that's what it's all about.

Larry
Snyderle@aol.com