TR6 PCV + commission/engine numbers

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 PCV + commission/engine numbers
From: Cregg Cowan <cowan@erg.sri.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 1996 13:30:01 -0700
Cc: cowan
Friendly Scions,

I am a long time TR6 owner (17 years) and frequent driver (except for
two long repair periods), and have been enjoying the list for a few
months now.  I seek knowledge.

Recently I have concluded that the PCV/charcoal canister setup doesn't
seem right.  My beast is a 1971 (CC63192L, engine CC29630HE), but
according to the TRF catalogs the intake manifold appears to be for
the 1969 model (flat, round PCV valve in intake manifold).  The
current setup is as follows:

                -------------------------
                |      valve            |
                |      cover            |
                -------------------------
                        PCV Valve

               |                  |                       |
               |                  |                    Charcoal
             Carb               Carb                   Canister

Note there is no connection between the PCV valve and the carbs or charcoal
canister.  The breather (?) ports on each carb are connected only to the
charcoal canister.

Now (finally) the question.  Is it reasonable that our progenitors in
Coventry used a 1969 manifold on a 1971 engine?  Or does the engine number
(CC29630HE) indicate the engine was replaced?  In either case, can someone
enlighten me about the appropriate setup, as I'm unsure about how to connect
the carbs and charcoal canister to the PCV and valve cover.  Did the 1969
version *have* a charcoal canister? Any suggests will be appreciated!

Although the car runs OK, I've been suffering through an intermittent
carb/fuel problem (occasional stumble at 3000 RPM, immediately
corrected by pulling out choke) and would like to eliminate this
breathing system as a possible source.

Thanks!
Cregg Cowan
Mountain View, CA