RE: Clutch Master & Slave

To: "'TR6 List'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Clutch Master & Slave
From: Peter Zaborski <peterz@merak.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 1996 00:04:23 -0600
Encoding: 60 TEXT
From:   Kdoc111@aol.com[SMTP:Kdoc111@aol.com]
Sent:   Monday, October 21, 1996 9:31 AM
To:     triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject:        Clutch Master & Slave

Putting this off and tolerating a slow leak for three years now, it has come
time now to do something about my badly leaking clutch Slave cylinder.  The
car is a '71 TR6, with a new clutch installed less than 10,000 miles ago.  (I
put about 1,500 to 2,000 miles per year on the car mainly each summer.)

All else is fine with the operation of the clutch, other than the leak.  I
put in 1/2  a master-cylinder's worth of LMA fluid in one week.

A fellow TR6 owner (who's '69 is better than any I've seen), suggested buying
both a new master and slave cylinder.  This is to be a better long-term and
ease-of-mind solution than rebuilding the old units, the theory goes.

  Is there any caution about swapping old with new clutch hydraulic
components?  The current Slave Cyl. is connected to the bottom hole on the
clutch fork.  Will the new slave cyl. also connect to the same hole, or will
some adjustment be necessary?  Will putting in a new master cyl. also effect
the placement of the slave rod on the clutch fork hole?

Any advice will be appreciated.  Thanks.

I would suggest rebuilding first if upon examining the bores of the two
cylinders it appears that they are relatively smooth. (You can take out minor
"black" stuff - I'm not sure what this is) with 600 grit sandpaper. I did this
with my car earlier this year after 8 years of storage (indoors) and the clutch
linkage works like a charm. The rebuild kits are less $ than the whole cylinder
(naturally).

For my car (76 TR6) the recommended placement of the clevis pin from the clutch
shaft is the middle one. This works fine on my car. It's a good idea to replace
both clevis pins when you do this as it will tighten up the linkage quite a bit
(just check out how worn your old clevis pins are).

A new master cylinder should not affect the placement of the slave rod since
it's all a hydraulic connection between the two whose distance has is not
impacted by the master (not sure if I explained this properly but the answer is
no).

Sincerely,
Kevin D. O'Connor
Kdoc111@aol.com