Re: Electric and Deisel Spitfires

To: gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net, british-cars@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Electric and Deisel Spitfires
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 21:27:51 -0400

<<
 Reaching deep, deep, deep into my cobwebby memory, I believe there were
 sort of plans published in Popular Science or Popular Mechanix for a home
 made sports car.  If I am not mistaken, it used a 3 cylinder engine from
 a tractor or some such (and no, I am not thinking of a SAAB Sonnet.

Ray, Etal-
Saw what may have been the mystery motor at a garage sale recently. Cute
little 3 cyl diesel, complete from flywheel to inj pump. Seemed about 18" in
length overall, and light enough to pick up single-handedly. I really wanted
it, but couldn't for the life of me figure out what on Earth I would do with
it. Owner said it came out of a small John Deere riding garden tractor.
Oddly, it was painted all black as opposed to John Deere Green, but the fact
that he had the tractor sitting there with its new all black motor installed,
added credence to his story. BTW, said the motor had worn the bores very
severly after less than 100 hours due to an air filter that was mounted
incorrectly and allowed unfiltered air into the motor.

Sorry, I'm still a gas kind-o-guy
          Nick in Nor Cal