Re: Spitfire rearend noise

To: svrx@c2i2.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire rearend noise
From: SCHWANGAU@AOL.com
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 10:50:06 -0400
In a message dated 96-10-19 17:27:07 EDT, svrx@c2i2.com (Dennis McAllister)
writes:

>Any experience out there?

Ya.  Lots.  Sounds like one or more of the following:

1. (the easy one)  The brake shoes sometimes drag (should touch lightly), but
make a little noise as they catch as the drum goes around.  Does the noise go
away if you apply brakes?  Hand Brake only?  Try backing off the adjuster and
listen for any different noise.  Or tighten them way up and listen.  Doubtful
this is the problem, but it is easy to sort out and beats exploring other
stuff if it is the problem.

2.  Inner trunion bearing.  Most likely.  Spits are famous for loosing these.
 They are usually neglected because the lubrication is through a hole that is
usually fitted with a plug, rather than a zirk fitting.  Try putting in a
zirk and pumping those babies full.  Do this on the jacks and rotate the
wheel to work this stuff in real well.  If you don't know where this plug is
, look in the book.  It will show a picture of the back of the trunion/hub
assembly.  These inner bearings fail because the needles run directly on the
axel shaft, rather than on a bearing race.  Dumb, but cheap.  Got the cars
off the showroom floor.  Wasn't that the manufacturers goal?

3.  U-Joints.  Now these are tricky.  If you say the noise cannot be
replicated while on jacks, I would also suspect U joints.  The angles and
forces are different when the car is jacked up.  I recently pulled a
driveshaft that had an obvious bad joint on one end, and on the other the
joint appeared tight and sound.  When I disassembled them both, the tight one
was just as dry inside and about to fail also.  Sometimes the old "pull and
push on the shaft" test just does not give you conclusive info.

4.  Could be worn output shaft splines in the diff.  Not much you can do to
repair.  If noise goes away under load, this is a possibility.  You may
notice it most when drive train is neutral-no load either way.

Here's what I did: I sent my half shafts to High Point Imports in NC
(910-884-1455) and they modified them with larger and real inner bearings and
new U Joints.  Costs a few iron men, but they come back beautiful and ready
to install.  Hubs, joints, trunions, back plates, shafts  All rebuilt,
serviced, repainted..  The works execept the brakes.

Brian

65 Spit
79 Spit
63 Consul Capri