TR6 axle "clunks"

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 axle "clunks"
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 07:35:54 -0700
Hi all,
    I posted this but wasn't sure it was recieved due to recent network
problems, so my apoliges if this is a repeat.  Just for my own edification-
    Is it normal for the rear axles on TR6's to 'clunk' slightly when
accelerating, especially after backing up or after just braking hard.  Never
having owned or driven one I can't be sure.  I have checked everything.
Axles have new u-joints and all bolts are tight,  The only thing I can think
of is that this is the slop in the splines of the axles themselves, and the
noise (actually more of a feeling) is not objectional just kind of
disconcerting.  If this is normal I'll chock it up to experience.  If not
I'll have to start looking somewhere else.  BTW these are not in a TR6 but
they are TR6 sliding shaft's,  These are installed in a modified Spit/GT6
hybrid rear so TR6 broken diff bolts, etc. don't apply here :-)

Thanks in advance-

Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com (work)
Bschwart@pacbell.net (home)
(San Diego)
70' Spitfire (under-going major surgery) ,  72'-V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70'GT6+