Fuel in the TR3..Oh NO!

To: "Mike Guntner" <mikeg@axess.com>, "Michael Noerregaard" <ngaard@utxvms.cc.utexas.edu>
Subject: Fuel in the TR3..Oh NO!
From: twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn Wakeman)
Date: Sun, 20 Oct 1996 17:22:19 -0700
Cc: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
You know the rebuild of the once and future TR3 is almost done when I
decide to add a gallon of petrol to the fuel tank.  last weekend I removed
the plugs and turned the engine over on the starter motor until I had oil
pressure to the guage.  50 pounds were indicated.  I discovered that my old
solenoid was bad.  I replaced that this weekend.  This afternoon, I poured
a gallon of petrol into the fuel tank.  I had thoughts of actually trying
to fire up the engine.

Well, when I went around to the front to pump up the fuel, I discovered
that it was running out of the connectors connecting the steel hoses to the
pump.  Just for the fun of it, I hand pumped  some fuel up to the
DCOEs,only to see fuel spraying out the connections.  Well back to the
drawing board.

I'm using my old fuel pump off the TR3.  The steel lines are new and are
made of the standard steel lines you get at the auto parts sore.  I found a
set of compression connectors also at the auto parts store.  I was a bit
bothered by the fact that they screw all the way in.  I guess they are the
wrong ones.

I used stainless steel braided fuel hose that I clamped to the steel line
and to the slip on fuel fittings on the DCOEs.  I used the smallest size
two wire hose clamp.  I guess the ID of the braided cable is just a little
too large for the fittings :*0

So assuming this thing uses standard steel fuel lines, does anyone know
where I can get the PROPER compression fittings (2 for the pump, one forthe
tank)???

One step forward three steps back

TeriAnn

twakeman@scruznet.com